St. Mark's Lutheran Church header image
 
  history page images

 

History of St. Mark's Lutheran Church

St. Mark's Lutheran Church has proclaimed the Good News of God in Christ for its sixty plus years in Brandywine Hundred of north Wilmington. Beginning with a small community of Lutheran neighbors meeting in a fire hall in 1942, St. Mark's has grown into an established Lutheran Church in the Delaware-Maryland Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). The church has grown to a membership of over 500 individuals, with an average of 180 persons in worship at one of two Sunday services.

A fire destroyed most of the worship area thirty years ago. Empowered by the Spirit, members rebuilt the church. Since the middle 1990's, members worked hard on a new mission to meet the future spiritual and physical needs of our members and the surrounding community. The most visible sign of that vision is our newly renovated building which allows access for all people to participate in the life of celebration everywhere in our church.

Even before the building program, church leadership added a contemporary service to complement traditional worship services. Stephen Ministry Church at St. Mark's provides individual spiritual and emotional support to those in crisis. New and exciting classes and activities teach us and grow our faith. There is room for all to join in ministry here.


Through worship, new and long-standing programs, and our new, handicap-accessible building, Christ is proclaimed with grateful hearts.

 
Saint Mark's Lutheran Church • 501 Duncan Road • Wilmington, DE 19809 • 302.764.7488

Website by: Singles Design